A Brief History of St. Paul’s
St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church (United Church of Christ) began her journey
from roots of Swiss Reform and German Evangelical with founding members from German
and Swiss immigrants as well as Americans of that heritage. In November 1889 the
German Evangelical Synod of North America sent the Reverend Heinrich Siegfried to
Dallas for the purpose of formally establishing an Evangelical congregation. On
December 1, 1889, the first Sunday of the Advent season, the first divine service
was held in the former German Presbyterian Church at the corner of Texas and Liberty
(now Florence) Streets. The formal organization took place later on New Year's Day,
January 1, 1890. The sermon text for that Sunday was taken from Hebrews 10:23-
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful.
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let
us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage
Eleven charter members (all men) signed the constitution on April 27, 1890, and four named trustees signed the charter on June 14, 1890, being chartered by the city of Dallas as the Deutsche Evangelische St. Pauls Gemeinde [German Evangelical St. Pauls Church]. The Texas Secretary of State endorsed the charter on June 25, 1890, and the church formally joined the German Evangelical Synod of North America on June 29, 1890.
In 1921 at the General Synod meeting, the body resolved to drop the word "German" from the name of the Synod, effective October 1, 1922. In June 1934, at Cleveland, Ohio, the subsequent Evangelical and Reformed Church was formed. From that, the E&R Church merged into the UCC in 1957.
In 1952, due to the growth of the congregation and the changing neighborhood at Texas and Florence Streets, the time was ripe for the church to relocate. A building fund had been started, and a search for a new site was underway.
A site was selected in a new development at the northern edge of the city of Dallas, where Lovers Lane ended in the country. St. Paul's new church building at 6464 East Lovers Lane was dedicated on April 7, 1957.
In June 1957, at Cleveland, Ohio, the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Churches merged into the United Church of Christ.
In 1985, in order to reclaim the church's original identity, the congregation changed the corporate name to "St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church (United Church of Christ)."
St. Paul’s has a history of involvement in the community as well as at the Association, Conference and National levels of the United Church of Christ. Through challenge and adversity, she has survived, growing stronger with each experience.
Original Church Sanctuary